Thursday, September 30, 2010

Peer Support Groups

Businesspeople Outdoors Sitting in a Circle
I just returned from St. Louis where I helped train 31 new trainers for NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness). They will go back to their respective states and train their peers how to facilitate peer support groups.

Peer support is very powerful in my opinion. I work in a PRRC ( Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Recovery Center ). I watch people attending therapeutic groups all day long. There is a noticeable difference in the milieu when the  group is peer support.

I think when people are in an environment where they can contribute as well as receive support, they leave feeling much better. Whenever I facilitate a peer support group of veterans at my PRRC the air is pregnant with anticipation as the group begins. The group is so popular it has spawned a second group.

Whenever I am in the company of others who share the same experiences and challenges I face daily, I feel more comfortable and am therefore more likely to reach out for support. If you would like to find a mental illness peer support group in your area there are a number of organizations offering help. To find a NAMI Connection group go here.

The DBSA ( Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance ) is a national patient-directed nonprofit organization focusing specifically on depression and bipolar disorder. To find a DBSA support group in your area click here.

Abraham Low was a Jewish-American ( 1891-1954 ) neuropsychiatrist noted for his work establishing self help groups for the mentally ill. In 1937 Dr. Low established Recovery, Inc. and acted as it's medical director until 1954. Recovery, Inc. is now Recovery International and is based in Chicago, Illinois. Recovery, Inc. was way ahead of it's time focusing on peer led groups utilizing techniques now called CBT ( cognitive behavioral therapy ). Recovery International offers three options for participation. In person, telephone, and online. If you are interested in exploring one of these options go here.


'Til next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment